"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).
It's not easy to be thankful every day. I'm not. It's much easier to focus on the bad, on the things I don't have, the things that hurt. I think, if only my day had gone like this, or if things could be like that, then my life will be good and I will be perfectly happy. The fact is, however, that life will never quite be that picture of perfection that we have in our heads; at least, not for long.
We've all heard the saying, attitude is everything. This seems too simplistic at times. Seriously? As though my attitude could change the situation I'm in. But in a sense, it does. God knew what He was talking about when He told Paul to instruct the Thessalonians to give thanks, and now science is falling in line with what Paul wrote nearly 2,000 years ago. I read an article in the paper this morning, called Giving Thanks Helps Your Psychological Outlook. According to the article, scientists have studied gratitude and found that it is "one of humanity's most powerful emotions. It makes you happier and can change your attitude about life, like an emotional reset button." Thankfulness resets your emotions, " 'hijacking your emotional system,' " said University of Miami psychology professor Michael McCullough. The article suggest keeping a "gratitude journal" to record the things we're grateful for.
This is secular science performing a study, proving something that God had taught His people for ages.
I definitely struggle with gratitude, but today I've realized that I need to make more of an effort to be thankful. I have so many things to thank God for. I am going to try to remember to give Him credit for all of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment