Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What is Love?


"Baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more..." Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously, now...



Love is patient, love is kind. Love does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres...”
     1 Corinthians 13; possibly the most quoted love chapter of the Bible. What did you see when you read these two verses just now? Did you even read them? If you’re like me and you have grown up in the church, then you have heard these verses so many times that all you see is the written equivalent of Charlie Brown’s teacher: Wa wa wawa wa.... I have become so numbed to these words that I often skim over them with an “oh, that’s nice.” Yet when I determine to study this chapter, I see a list of “do’s” and “don’ts” that I must somehow accomplish. Be patient? Ok, I’ll try, Lord (but I won’t ask for patience, because then I’m in for it). Be kind? I think I can work on that one tomorrow. Let’s see...don’t envy, boast, or be prideful. Hm. I might be able to pencil those in on Sunday. I will try. I will work on this list, and I will do my very best, and...maybe I did envy Jordan’s shoes today, but tomorrow, no envying! I have to follow this list to be a good Christian. I must live up to this expectation, or people will think less of me. I must follow this list to be good enough. I have to be perfect. Didn’t Jesus say that somewhere? Be perfect, as my heavenly Father is perfect? How can I ever be accepted by God if I fail to follow His commands? So I won’t fail. I will work hard, and if I fall, I will work twice as hard to make up for the mistake.

Try.
Work.
Do.
     Is this you’re life? For a long time, it has been mine. There is nothing wrong with “working” on these love attributes. We all fail to live up to them in one way or another. Yet what are these, really? I just called them “attributes.” Attributes of what? 
Attributes of love. 
According to the New Oxford American Dictionary, attribute means a quality or feature regarded as a characteristic or inherent part of someone or something : flexibility and mobility are the key attributes of our army.”
Kindness is an inherent characteristic of love. Selflessness flows naturally out of love. Are we trying to be selfless? Are we succeeding? I can speak for myself: No. Why not? Because I am trying to do something while lacking the power to do it. Can I drive a car with no engine? How far will I go? I can’t even drive down the driveway; the very heart of the car is missing. Out of love flows it’s natural consequences: patience, kindness, joy for others when they are blessed, humility, honesty, a desire not to offend, selflessness, a slowness to become angry, rejoicing at truth, protecting, trusting, hoping, and persevering. 
     First seek love. These will result. Yet it is even more than simply seeking love on our own, because “love,” as the world often defines it, isn’t truth--or at least, not the whole truth. Love is not some mysterious word that can mean one thing to Taylor and a completely different thing to Joel. Love is solid and secure. In fact, the most important aspect of love is the craziest, most insane, yet most wonderful fact in the universe. Are you ready? John says in one of his letters that “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love” (1 John 4:8). Whoa. Craziness...yet so completely and totally wonderful. God Himself, He IS love. All of those attributes of love? They are the characteristics of God.
     
     Do we want to fulfill God’s commands? Then we must get to know God. EVERY SINGLE COMMAND of God can be achieved through love, and God Himself is the source of love. I can’t truly love on my own. By my own strength I may try, but I will always, always fail. I am not the source of love. 
“God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him” (1 John 4:16).


Don’t take my word for it; I'm barely beginning to accept this for myself. Ask God. Read His word. Let Him be your source.


No comments:

Post a Comment