Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Stretching


I love the movie The Incredibles. The other day my friends and I were talking about our favorite superpowers from that movie. One friend wanted the super-strength of Mr. Incredible, and a couple others wanted Violet’s invisibility and force field. My favorite is Elasti-Girl. Not only can she reach across an entire room with her arm, she can also turn her body into a parachute, a boat, a slingshot, etc. Seriously, I couldn’t go wrong.

It’s funny how God works. Lately He has been bringing up the need for people--ok, for me--to be stretched, to be put in situations that force me out of my comfort zone and make me turn to Him, because without Him, I would fail. 
I hadn’t thought of that when I decided I wanted super-stretchy limbs for my super power. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe invisibility is the better option....

I don’t like this topic. I don’t want to be stretched. I don’t want to leave my comfort zone. I didn’t quite realize until I wrote this that I have settled in a comfortable spot. I haven’t been here for long, though. Since I joined Youth With A Mission, I have been working in the kitchen every day. It certainly has been and continues to be a learning experience for this girl whose culinary skills consisted of sandwiches and spaghetti. I am now learning to make meals every day for 19-35 people. Granted, I have mostly helped with side dishes and am only beginning to make the main meals, but still. There have been many opportunities for me to mess up, and I have learned more about my personal strengths and weaknesses...with an emphasis on the weaknesses, it seems. 
As time has gone on, I have become more comfortable in my role assisting in the kitchen. I considered this a victory. YES! I’ve got this! Now I can settle down and ...Wait, say what? I need to be stretched? I thought I just was! 

Sigh. A couple of days ago my base director’s lovely wife told me that they probably aught to find a way to put me in a new position that took me out of my comfort zone. I wasn’t exactly thrilled with the idea. My gut firmly resisted the thought. That’s how I knew she was right. Great. I enjoy being comfortable, God! Why must You so persistently want to improve my character? Yeah, yeah, it’s for my own good and all that stuff. 
God always sees the best side of me, doesn’t He? 

From the first time I read The Hobbit, I could relate with Bilbo Baggins. Like a good, respectable hobbit, he never went on any adventures of any kind. He was quite comfortable living in his hobbit hole with his regular meals and tea times. Then adventure knocks on his door, quite literally, and he sets off on a very uncomfortable and very stretching adventure. 
Even at twelve years old, I knew that if Bilbo never went on his adventure, there would be no story. The Hobbit would be a very boring book if it consisted of his comfortable every day life. He had to become uncomfortable. He had to have difficult situations to overcome in order for us to cheer on our little reluctant hero. And Bilbo grew. He gained confidence, respect, ingenuity, and courage. He changed. As I must change.

As much as I want to, I cannot avoid the stretching. If I want to become a better person, that is. I suppose I could try to remain in my comfort zone the rest of my life. I could avoid all conflict. I could never move up in my job. I could avoid people who I don’t particularly like. I could become a hermit. 
This sounds like the perfect environment for me to be wholly self-absorbed, lonely, frustrated, and depressed. Do I want to be that person? Thank goodness God cares enough about me-and everyone around me-to prevent that from happening!

I am nervous writing about this. I know that more stretching will come, likely sooner than later. I don’t like this lesson, yet it must be learned. I can do this. Through Jesus Christ, I can do all things. I can even be in charge of the kitchen for the month of June, if necessary(Lord, help!). I know He will help. I know He will hear my prayers for grace, even if He doesn’t grant my prayers for more kitchen help.
There is always grace. 
I need to remind myself to read this later. What doesn’t kill me will make me stronger, right?

May God grant us grace and favor as He stretches and grows us into a stronger, wiser, kinder, humbler, and more loving people.


1 comment:

  1. Spot on, Jen. God loves us enough to nudge us (ok, usually for me a nudge isn't enough) out of our comfortable spots. We'll do this together... Jesus and you, and me, ... and any others bold enough to respond with a willing heart.

    ReplyDelete